In order to improve the quality of the mental health first aid techniques being taught to the public in MHFA courses, MHFA Australia and researchers at the Population Mental Health Group at the University of Melbourne have developed guidelines on what constitutes best practice first aid, as informed by expert consensus (i.e., consensus-based guidelines). MHFA Course curriculum in face to face and eLearning is based on these guidelines. View all published research on MHFA Course development (i.e., MHFA Guidelines development).
Guidelines in the following areas have been developed, and are available for free download. However, MHFA Australia does not allow reposting of its MHFA guidelines on other sites, but allows them to be linked to directly.
- Providing Mental Health First Aid in English Speaking Countries
- Providing Mental Health First Aid to an Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Person
- Suicide first aid guidelines for people from immigrant and refugee backgrounds
- Guidelines for considerations when offering Mental Health First Aid to Iraqi refugees
- Guidelines for Helping Someone with Mental Health Problems and Financial Difficulties
- Providing Mental Health First Aid in the Workplace in English Speaking Countries
- Guidelines for Carers of someone with a Mental Illness
- Providing Mental Health First Aid in some Asian Countries
- Guidelines for Tertiary Institutions to Facilitate Improved Educational Outcomes for Students with a Mental Illness
- Guidelines for Parenting Strategies to Prevent Adolescent Alcohol, Depression and Anxiety Problems
About Mental Health First Aid Courses
Mental health first aid is the help provided to a person who is developing a mental health problem, or who is in a mental health crisis (e.g., the person is suicidal or has had a traumatic experience). Like physical first aid, mental health first aid is given until the person receives professional help or until the crisis resolves.
Mental health first aid strategies are taught in evidence-based training courses authored by Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Australia and delivered by accredited MHFA Instructors across the country. MHIST offers MHFA Courses as authored by MHFA Australia, delivered by Instructors who are currently accredited by MHFA Australia.