In order to help people from different cultures it is important to understand any cultural barriers which could hinder the counselling process.
The Australian government provides community profile fact sheets when they know there will be a particular group coming to Australia in large numbers. This page is the beginning of a compilation of such lists.
- Bhutanese Community Profile (559KB PDF file)
- Burmese Community Profile (568KB PDF file)
- Congolese Community Profile (149KB PDF file)
- Eritrean Community Profile (390KB PDF file)
- Ethiopian Community Profile (430KB PDF file)
- Liberian Community Profile (389KB PDF file)
- Sierra Leonean Community Profile (503KB PDF file)
- Sudanese Community Profile (642KB PDF file)
- Togolese Community Profile (579KB PDF file)
- Turkish – External site (non government)
- Uzbek Community Profile (225KB PDF file)
- Companion house works with people who have sought refuge in Australia from persecution, torture and war related trauma. They work with people who are newly arrived and longer term settlers. They work with adults, young people and children. Most of the people they work with are asylum seekers or from a refugee background. They are a non-profit community based organisation.