Where to get help:
- Beyond Blue Tel. 1300 22 46 36
- Aussie Helpers 1300 665 232
- AHVISE (Aussie Helpers) 07 3103 2070
AHVISE is an educational support program (for Aussie farming kids) consisting of volunteer tutors (usually retired) who want to make a difference by helping Australian farming families. The volunteers can provide the tutoring in person on the family’s property OR they can provide the tutoring online (eg. Skype).
This list1 of support services is not exhaustive. Familiarise yourself with local, state, and national support services, and have literature prepared where possible in case it needed. Please note that families may not be ready to accept information upon first offering. Let them know you will keep it with you in case they change their minds.
- Dept of Environment, Land, Water, and Planning – Customer Service Centre: Tel. 136 186
- Farmsafe Australia – Tel. 02 6269 5622
- National Centre for Farmer Health
- Rural Financial Counseling Service – Tel. 1800 686 175
- Lifeline – Tel. 13 11 14
- This way up – online ‘Coping With Stress’ course developed by the Clinical Research Unit for Anxiety and Depression (CRUfAD) at St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney and University of New South Wales (UNSW) Faculty of Medicine.
- MindSpot – a free online treatment and assessment service for anxiety and depression
- iFarmWell – a free online tool kit to help farmers cope effectively with life’s challenges and get the most out of every day
- Mensline Australia Tel. 1300 78 99 78
- Kids Helpline Tel. 1800 55 1800
- Parentline Victoria Tel. 13 22 89
- SuicideLine Tel. 1300 651 251
- SANE Helpline Tel. 1800 18 SANE (1800 18 7263)
- Suicide Call Back Service Tel. 1300 659 467